What sort of law do you practice?

I do business, corporate & real estate law. These are general categories of practice. Many different sorts of matters fall within these categories. If you’re not sure if your situation falls within these areas just give me call and ask.

What sort of law don’t you practice?

I do not practice criminal law or tax law. If you need advice in either of these areas, you should contact a practitioner who specializes in these areas. I also do not litigate. If your matter is going to court or already in court, if you’ve received a summons, or complaint on official court forms, I am not the right lawyer for you. Often times people think they need to sue someone to fix a problem. Most, but not all, matters can be solved without litigation, either through negotiations or mediation. This saves a lot of your money, too

How do I contact you?

The best ways are by phone and email. I answer my own phone and respond to my email ASAP. I answer the phone at night and on the weekend too.

How much does it cost to call you?

The first 15 minutes of your first call is free. My goal is to see if there is another way to solve your problem, or help you, without hiring a lawyer. If we decide you need to hire a lawyer and you want to hire me, the regular rates kick in.

How do I hire you?

First, we need to talk to see if you really need a lawyer and if I’m the right lawyer. A lot of problems can be solved without hiring a lawyer. If I can think of another way to solve your problem, I’ll let you know so you can do it yourself. However, if during our conversation, we both agree that you need a lawyer and I am the right person to help you, we will establish an attorney-client relationship by both signing a Retainer Agreement. When you sign, you pay a retainer amount of money. That amount differs from person to person depending on the amount of work you need. When you pay the retainer, it goes into a trust account. After I complete some work, I will bill you. The bill is paid out of the retainer funds in the trust account. If there is more work to do, then you will replenish the retainer in the trust account.

How much do you charge?

My rate is $300/hour. There are some things I do for a fixed amount to make the bookkeeping easier for my clients so they know in advance exactly how much something will cost. For example, I form California LLCs & Corporations for $3000. I bill on ¼ hour time periods. Quick tasks such as fast text messages, emails and phone calls under 5 minutes are free because it takes me longer to do the bookkeeping than to do the work.

Why don’t all lawyers tell people up front what their rates are?

Good question. I think the legal practice is steeped in traditions that date back to medieval England when polite people and professionals did not talk about money in public. This doesn’t really make sense any more.

How does the money work?

When you sign your retainer agreement, you pay a certain amount of money. That amount differs from person to person, or company to company, depending on the amount of work, and the type of work, that you need. When you pay the retainer, it goes into a trust account (a special bank account with stronger protections). After I complete some or all of the work, I will bill you. The bill is paid out of the retainer funds in the trust account. If there is more work to do, then you will replenish the retainer in the trust account. If there is money remaining in the trust account after all the work is completed, it is returned to you.

Do you work with other lawyers and CPAs?

Yes, there are certain matters that require expertise from more than one lawyer. For example, when a matter is headed toward litigation we include a litigator on the team;  when it involves a property that is part of an estate where the owner (settlor) has passed away and the beneficiary is selling the property, we work with the estate lawyer; and when it is has complicated tax implications we involve the CPA or tax lawyer the client chooses.[/vc_column_text][/vc_column][/vc_row]

Are there any other charges?

There might be. If you pay online via Paypal (credit card or bank tansfer) or another online payment system they charge a convenience fee. If we file forms with the State of California Secretary of State, they charge filing fees. The amount depends on which forms are filed. We sometimes work with a filing service in Sacramento to hand deliver forms to get them at the front of the line. Other fees include FedEx, mail, travel, court filings, among others. All costs are passed through without adding any overhead expenses.

How soon can you get to my matter?

It depends. If this is an offer on a house, I’ll get to it right away. We dont want you to lose your potential new house! If this is creation of documents, such as a Home Owners Association that needs new pool rules and policies, we will schedule the work in the near future. If you have had months to work on this and you waited until the last minute, so now there is a big rush that requires me to stop all other work, a “rush fee” will be added onto your hourly rate.

Can you recommend realtors, title companies, appraisers, surveyors, foreclosure companies, and other companies?


Do I need to come to your office?

No. The majority of client interactions take place over the phone, email, text messages and internet. My clients are located all over the world and the country, for legal matters that are within the entire state of California. I do research, write letters and contracts, coordinate real estate transactions, and meet with government agencies for clients who I have never met in person.

Where is your office?

In Santa Cruz, California. But, my clients do not have to be in this area.

Do you work with real estate investors?

Yes, real estate investment is one of my favorite topics and area of practice. I am an investor, too. I love hearing other investor’s ideas and strategies, and sharing what I know that may help you in this journey.

Should I form an LLC or a C-Corp?

There are a lot of things to consider when making a decision about which business entity to form. These include your goals, why you’re forming an entity, tax matters, the people in your organization, and whether you are receiving money from investors. Once we discuss this, I will make a recommendation that fits your specific needs.

Are there different types of non-profit organizations?

The State of California recognizes three types of non-profits. Depending on why your forming a non-profit, you organization will fit into one of the categories.

What is a Mutual Benefit Corp?

A Mutual Benefit Corporation is one of the three types of non-profits that the State of California recognizes. It has specific rules for formation, disassociation/unwinding, and financial operations, among many other regulations.

What should I do about my medical marijuana collective?

efore passage of the Medical Cannabis Regulation and Safety Act (“MCRSA”) and Proposition 64, legalization of adult use, a medical collective was an attempt to form a legal “entity” that protected growers and dispensaries. It was a way to demonstrate that a cannabis business was following the California Attorney General’s 2008 memo to “collectively or cooperatively” cultivate and distribute medical cannabis to other qualified patients. These collectives have mostly been converted into nonprofit mutual benefit corporations (“NPMBCs”).   Under current State laws, both types of entities have one year from January 1, 2018, to convert into for-profit corporations such as LLC, C-Corp, or S-Corp. I can help you use the by-laws you created for your NPMBC to form your new Operating Agreement. Or you can start over from scratch.

Phone : 831-708-9474

Email : excellentlegal@gmail.com